[vtkusers] Simplify/Remesh UnstructuredGrid

jhirsch jan.hirsch at st.ovgu.de
Mon Apr 4 13:03:38 EDT 2016

Hello guys,
I'm having an unstructured grid that consists of points (with some scalar
arrays) and cells. I'm doing a volume rendering with it using the
vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper.
Now, I'm exasperated over trying to reduce the data, e.g. the density of the
unstructured grid.

I've tried two things so far:
1. Masking the points:

This gives me a point cloud that preserves the scalars but losing all the
cell data. Doing a volume rendering on that failed because there is no
volume rendering algorithm in VTK that works solely on points. What would be
the next step to get a working unstructuredGrid again?  Delaunay3D messed up
the mesh (imagine the mesh is like a 3-dimensional 'T',  delaunay makes it
look like a huge tetrahedron), vtkOrderedTriangulator loses the scalars.

2. Decimate the mesh:
Using a vtkGeometryFilter in order to convert the unstructuredGrid into
polydata, filter only triangles that decimating with vtkDecimatePro will
work, and finally convert it back (with vtkAppendFilter) to a
unstructuredGrid:

Volume rendering this fails as well. I discovered that vtkTriangleFilter
nealy strips all my cells away and the decimation leaves only a fraction of
my points...

Is there another alternative for creating a simple unstructuredGrid?

Thanks a bunch!