[vtkusers] Error compiling vtk 6.3.0 on win32 (VC++ 2010)

pof jd379252 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:39:50 EDT 2015

Le 16/09/2015 17:37, Ben Boeckel a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 23:22:23 +0200, pof wrote:
>> I am trying to build vtk6.3.0 dlls (using CMake to generate the MSVC
>> project files).
>> - For win64, everything compile and links fine.
>> - For win32, there is a repetitive compilation error complaining about
>> VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR.
>>
>> Apparently, the mistake is in the vtkConfigure.h file, in which the line
>>       #define VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR
>> is uncomplete.
>> Modifying as
>>       #define VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR = 1
>> solves the problem, i.e. it compiles and links
> Hmm, that doesn't look like the right fix (it should be just '1',
> without the '='). We do have VS2010 builds, but they are all 32bit. Our
> 32bit builders are VS2012. I guess one should be bumped down to VS2010
> to test it out.
>
> But this looks like a very weird case anyways. I don't know why char
> would fail, but the rest would succeed. Any thoughts from those more
> familiar with this part of VTK's configure?
>
> --Ben
My mistake Ben, of course, the correct fix is (as you mentioned):
      #define VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR = 1
and this is obviously the one I implemented (which makes it possible to
compile and link vtk in my case).

To be more accurate, compilation errors were reported in vtkType.h at
the following line:
     #if VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR == 1

Pof