[vtkusers] Error compiling vtk 6.3.0 on win32 (VC++ 2010)

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Sep 16 11:37:31 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 23:22:23 +0200, pof wrote:
> I am trying to build vtk6.3.0 dlls (using CMake to generate the MSVC
> project files).
> - For win64, everything compile and links fine.
> - For win32, there is a repetitive compilation error complaining about
> VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR.
>
> Apparently, the mistake is in the vtkConfigure.h file, in which the line
>      #define VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR
> is uncomplete.
> Modifying as
>      #define VTK_SIZEOF_CHAR = 1
> solves the problem, i.e. it compiles and links

Hmm, that doesn't look like the right fix (it should be just '1',
without the '='). We do have VS2010 builds, but they are all 32bit. Our
32bit builders are VS2012. I guess one should be bumped down to VS2010
to test it out.

But this looks like a very weird case anyways. I don't know why char
would fail, but the rest would succeed. Any thoughts from those more
familiar with this part of VTK's configure?

--Ben