[vtkusers] Rendering multiple volumes

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Oct 29 13:38:22 EDT 2015

This is really cool! thanks for sharing. I have cc'd Marcus and Utkarsh as
well, I am sure they also would like to know more about your work. Yes, I
will wait for your data and may be we can sync up again later over our
emails directly.

Thanks
Aashish

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Weiguang guan <guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca>
wrote:

> Sure, I will send you some datasets after this email.
>
> We have a very interesting project here at McMaster University to
> visualize x-ray diffraction data. The visualization package is written in
> C++ using VTK as rendering engine and Qt as GUI builder. You can find some
> screenshots together with description of the software at
> http://www.chemistry.mcmaster.ca/facilities/xray/221-max3d.
>
> Best,
> Weiguang
>

> On 29/10/2015 1:12 PM, Aashish Chaudhary wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Weiguang guan <guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Aashish, for confirming it and providing a workaround. Hope my
>> post + other related posts would bump it up a bit in the priority list.
>>

> I am sure it will. Can you send me some sample dataset so that I can play
> around? Working with real use-cases is always more fun than using the
> wavelet or other sample data we have. Also, if you can share some screen
> captures, that would be great (if possible). You can send me an email
> privately for those if that's more comfortable. We always like to hear back
> from the community.
>
> Thanks,
> - Aashish
>

>> Best,
>> Weiguang
>>

>> On 29/10/2015 12:14 PM, Aashish Chaudhary wrote:
>>
>> Hi Weiguang,
>>
>> Yes, a true multi volume rendering is not supported in current GPU
>> mappers. This is a interesting task and we talked about implementing it but
>> didn't hit high in our priority list. I think there could be some
>> interesting questions / answer related to this on blending and mixing. One
>> thing you could do (if possible) is that you can combine two volumes into
>> one with two components (assuming that each has one) if you need something
>> soon. Also, I believe the texture mapping mapper works because it crates
>> these polygonal slices but I would imaging that even it would not do the
>> right thing completely (it may look right though) in all circumstances
>> since its not going to sort slices between two volumes.
>>
>> - Aashish
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Weiguang guan <guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There were a few posts in the past about this topic. The conclusion
>>> seemed to be that VTK didn't support multi-volume rendering in terms of
>>> proper visibility sorting/blending. I'm not sure it is still true.
>>>
>>> I've done a test where two partially overlapped volumes are used. I've
>>> found that only the texture mapping mapper can render them correctly. All
>>> the other mappers (GPU based or ray casting) always have one volume occlude
>>> the other one no matter what direction the camera is viewing.
>>>
>>> Is vtkImageOcclusionSpectrum designed for handling multiple volume
>>> rendering? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Weiguang