[vtkusers] VTK and Python on OS X El Capitan

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:02:09 EDT 2015

Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't investigate how hard Apple is holding onto control of
> system Python, but I would be glad of the side-effect that people
> install a standard Python to work with, that isn't system Python, for
> the various reasons given.

Apple has added a protection layer that allows us to use the system Python
as a runtime, but it tells us to f**k off if we try to modify it. The
consequence is that most advanced users must install their own Python.
Personally I applaud this decision because it maintains the integrity of
the operating system.

Sturla