[vtkusers] VTK and Python on OS X El Capitan

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:46:09 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> Yes, I believe the standard advice is here :
>> https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Which-Python
>

> You say "standard advice" and then point to a page you wrote yourself ;)

Yes, I did do that, but it's standard advice in the sense that the
page was written after consulting about what the standard advice was,
on the MacPython mailing list [1].  It's me writing it partly because
I do a lot of work on Mac Python installation for scientific packages
[2].

> I'm torn between agreeing with the advice and disliking the fact that the
> system can't just "get along" with us.  Before you know it, our workstations
> will just be iPads with a keyboard, and maybe a little sandbox for writing
> toy programs.

Sorry, I didn't investigate how hard Apple is holding onto control of
system Python, but I would be glad of the side-effect that people
install a standard Python to work with, that isn't system Python, for
the various reasons given.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/pythonmac-sig@python.org/msg11740.html