[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] [vtk-users] OpenGL2 - GPU Volume Rendering performance

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Nov 19 13:14:27 EST 2015

Dear Simon,

I looked the code carefully and evaluated on mac and Linux (I don't think
its a system specific issue). I also looked into your code and here what I
found:

* In your example code the desired update rate is set to 25 which is
actually on a higher side given the data
* But the max sampling distance factor is set to 2.

1) These parameters results in some interesting computation. Old mapper
would not use your max sampling distance unless some computation it does
cross a threshold.

2) The new mapper always uses the max sampling distance for clamping and
actually if you look at the documentation it should do that.

Given these two situations, the new mapper use higher sampling distance
even when you set it to 2 and therefore runs faster as it tries to match
your desired update rate. The new mapper tries to match as well but then it
get clamped to maximum of 2 which is not enough to keep up with the desired
update rate. Now when you take out this constraint, both of these mappers
can go as low as 10 times the sampling distance initially chosen as the
desired update rate is bit too high for the rendering. I believe that new
mapper is doing the right thing vs the old mapper but I am open for
suggestions.

What I suggest you try these parameters:
Max sampling distance  factor : 4
Desired update rate: 15 or 20

Thanks