[vtkusers] Overlaying contours on DICOM image

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:43:50 EDT 2015

Hi Nick,

I haven't used dicom contours specifically, but in general whenever I do any
work in VTK where coordinate systems are important, I avoid any use of
the 2D rendering classes.  After all, VTK's claim to fame is 3D
visualization.
With 3D data and 3D actors (i.e. classes derived from vtkProp3D), you can
use the UserMatrix property of the actor to get the actors in the right
position.

A tricky part of rendering images via 3D actors such as vtkImageActor or
vtkImageSlice is proper positioning of the VTK camera.  But the overall
flexibility of 3D rendering far outweighs the convenience of 2D rendering.

 - David