[vtkusers] Mailing list or forum or SO?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Jun 23 23:45:47 EDT 2015

Hi Lonni,

I think this is an interesting idea. The VTK community always in need
of more people answering questions posted to the mailing list, but
there isn't really a way to reward people for doing so. Perhaps
StackOverflow's reputation mechanism might encourage more people to
answer questions. The mailing list obviously lacks that kind of formal
mechanism.

I personally don't check StackOverflow that often to answer VTK
questions, though I know some core VTK developers do. I wonder what
the effect would be if people posted questions on StackOverflow and
then sent an email to the mailing list with a link to the question.
You might get more activity on StackOverflow and thus maybe more
overall question answering going on. It couldn't hurt to try.

Cory

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Lonni Besançon
<lonni.besancon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm quite new to the VTK community and VTK in general. I have many questions
> and some of them have been answered here of course :).
>
> I saw an old thread on here however asking why the community doesn't switch
> to a forum form. I'm not a big fan of forums either but I think that we
> could use StackOverflow for that purpose. There is already a vtk tag even
> though less than 900 questions have been asked on there.
>
> I reckon it would be a good idea. All of us are coders and we all use stack
> overflow regularly.
> It is easier to post code there and the comment/answer system is great.
>
> Just wanted to know your opinion about it.
>

> --

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.