[vtkusers] MPI application writing PVTI

Shawn Waldon shawn.waldon at kitware.com
Mon Jun 1 13:52:42 EDT 2015

One of the key things to realize about the vtkXMLP*Writers is that the
writer makes no assumptions when used in parallel.  The P is for Piece not
Parallel, so you have to tell it how many pieces total are being written.
You also have to tell it the start and end piece numbers for each process
(probably just the process id).  Otherwise it defaults to  one total piece
and each process thinks it is writing piece 0 so the file gets clobbered
when all the processes try to write it.  See the vtkXMLPDataWriter
documentation [1] for details on how to set these options.

HTH,
Shawn

[1]: http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkXMLPDataWriter.html