[vtkusers] VTK mesh to Dicom (PACS)

Sebastian Hilbert sebastian.hilbert at gmx.net
Tue Dec 29 11:31:38 EST 2015

Hi,

Am Tuesday 29 December 2015, 17:52:48 schrieb Dov Grobgeld:
> As long as your PACS doesn't interfer with the contents of your private
> tags, you can probably store whatever you want in it. If the private tags
> are limited in size, than you could create a hack that and save a binary
> blob representing the mesh in the image portion of the data and somehow
> encode this hack in other dicom tags. As long as only your software is
> accessing the dicom "images" you should be ok. But if some other
> application would try to show the images they would display garbage. In
> short, as long as you have someway of storing binary data, you can use it.

Here is the relevant excerpt from the spec

What would be the most suitable tool to craft such a Dicom file ?

The other software's spec states this

*V8 3D IO instances are stand alone DICOM entities implemented as Extension1 to the SC
Image IOD as defined in PS 3.3 – 2004 Page 104, Table A.8.1.3 - Secondary Capture Image
Storage SOP Class 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.*
*Table 3.1 defines the modules to be included in V8 3D IO’s.*
*The 3D Instance Module is the extension to the standard SC Image IOD. It is detailed in # 3.2
and # 4. All other modules in Table 3.1 are standard DICOM modules.*

Can anyone comment on this ?

Regards,
Sebastian