[vtkusers] Building VTK 7.0.0 for PCL 1.8.0

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Dec 23 15:46:11 EST 2015

Included below is a response to a similar email from a while back - Ken

vtkgl.h can be replaced with vtk_glew.h

the extension manager is not in the new backend but glew should provide any
extension checking support you need although with a different interface

I am not sure about vtkVisibleCellSelector

Thanks
Ken

Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com>
Nov 19
to VictorLamoine, vtk
If you are using the generic Rendering API (vtkActor/vtkCamera/etc) then
code should mostly work unchanged. If you are directly working with the
OpenGL implementation then the conversion really depends on what you were
doing as the implementation is fairly different. In terms of the two
specific issues you mentioned vtkgl.h can probably be replaced with
vtk_glew.h, I do not recall what vtkOpenGLHardwareSupport does but there is
no match for that class in the new backend. Given that you have a class
named vtkVertexBufferObject I am guessing you are getting into very
specific implementation details so the conversion may not be trivial. On
the plus side the new back end includes classes such as
vtkOpenGLVertexBufferObject so ...  If you have further
questions/roadblocks let me know and I'll try to point you in the right
direction.

P.S. vtkOpenGLPointGaussianMapper in the new backend may be worth a look
too as it renders both points and splats etc.

Thanks
Ken

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM, Yuri A. <andronakiy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day everyone.
>
> I'm trying to build VTK for PCL library. Well VTK itself is compiled
> like a charm, without any error. But inside some the PCL files are
> some dependencies to those files:
>
> #include "vtkgl.h"
> #include "vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.h"
> #include <vtkVisibleCellSelector.h>
>
> And me and my compiler can't find those.
>
> It looks like file vtkgl.h should be generated by cmake and put into
> "/Rendering/vtkgl.h". But there is none. What settings should i use in
> Cmake for VTK? Or that file is not being generated anymore? What am i
> doing wrong?
>
> If you're interested my settings you can see in the attachments to the
> letter (not sure how attachments work in mailing list).
>
> Anyway than you, and have a good day.
>
> Yuri.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.