[vtkusers] 64Bit memory problems

Andreas Brüning devmail.andi at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 16 17:38:15 EST 2015

Hello,

I developed a tool to perform different types of Volume Rendering for Windows plattform. The code is written in C++. I use Visual Studio 2013 and VTK 6.1. So far everything is developed in 32bit and works very well.
Now i want to switch to 64 bit. I rebuilt VTK with CMake for 64Bit and set VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS. I checked some of the VTK examples and it works. But not in my project. As soon as i create a VTK object it seems that the objects memory is corrupted. The program crashes afterwards with memory access errors. The non VTK parts runs stabil. It is strange. For testing i create a vtkRenderWindow right after entering the main entrypoint. When i check the member the Interactor for example points to 0x000000000000001. That looks like corrupted memory because the interactor member is set to zero in the constructor.
I don't know how to fix it, so maybe somebody had similar problems and knows what I have to do. Is there maybe a Project configuration which i should keep an eye of? I guess CMake is not the problem because the VTK examples with the same VTK dlls work perfect.

Please help me and thanks in advance
Andi