[vtkusers] VTK 6.2 Error with Charts Wiki Example

Joseph Melnyk JMelnyk at pile.com
Wed Apr 1 15:38:53 EDT 2015

I'm trying to run the LinePlot example from the wiki, found here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Plotting/LinePlot

I have a test project set up in Visual Studio 2013, running on Windows 8, that works fine with this code under VTK 6.1.  I configured 6.1 using CMake and built it using VS2013 and everything went fine.  Basically no options were changed in CMake from the defaults, other than deselecting VTK_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS and setting the install directory.  I'm doing the vtkRenderingCore and vtkRenderingVolume autoinits before calling any other code, which are obligatory for 6+ VTK versions.  So all goes well until I migrate the same project over to 6.2.  Then, the exact same code with the exact same CMake configuration and VS2013 build environment compiles and links but gives me errors and exceptions at runtime.

I'm getting "Generic Warning: in ...\vtkContextDevice2D.cxx, line 27 Error: no override found for vtkContextDevice2D" when the vtkContextView object is instantiated.  And I'm getting "unhandled exception at memory location ... (vtkRenderingContext2D-6.2.dll) : an unhandled exception was encountered during a user callback" when calling GetInteractor()->Start() on the view object.

My hunch is that there's something which has not been autoinit-ed, but I'm failing to see what or find documentation on what has changed between 6.1 and 6.2 that would cause this to happen.

Thanks in advance for any help...
Joe