[vtkusers] Best way to handle Gauss points?

John Platt jcplatt at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 9 04:25:11 EDT 2014

Hi,

Typically, FE solvers sample the stresses at optimal sampling points (which
may coincide with the Gauss points) then linearly extrapolate to the nodes.
If it is appropriate to average the stresses at the nodes, I would do this
in your solver and write point tensor data to VTK. If the stresses cannot be
averaged, you can create multiple VTK points at your nodes (with the same
coordinates) for each element and set the topology accordingly. Point tensor
data can then be written. Be careful that VTK does not remove coincident
points.

HTH

John.