[vtkusers] Best way to handle Gauss points?

Mohamed Moussa mohamed.moussa89 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 00:02:46 EDT 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to output FEA results from our solver to a VTK unstructured
grid format so we can visualize in Paraview. I'm stuck on stress
tensor output. I'm writing C++ code and I've figured out how to output
cells/elements, displacement results at the node, etc.

Whats the best way of handling tensor data defined at Gauss points so
that I can visualize interpolated results in Paraview in a
straightforward manner?

I have read that VTK quadrature document but I don't want to go down
that path if it means I will have to write a filter in Paraview anyway
(I noticed there is no 'interpolate/extrapolate from quadrature
points' filter). I might as well just do it within my own program and
output nodal data.

Mo