[vtkusers] vtk python, point picker, UseCellsOff attribute error

redmod79 michael.j.redmond at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 12:18:25 EST 2014

David, thank you for your reply.

My current experience with the vtkPointPicker seems to indicate that the
cell points are on by default.  Or maybe something else fishy is going on.

I have a finite element mesh with many elements - nodes, bars, tri's, and
quads.  My custom interactor style is set up to pick a node (point) or
element (cell) when the mouse moves.  It first tries a point, and if no
point is selected, it tries a cell.

When I have my mouse over the center of a cell, it selects the cell as
desired.  When my mouse is near the corner of the cell it selects a point
(not desired).  If I go near each corner of the cell it will select a point
with id's 0, 1, 2, or 3, depending on the cell type and corner I'm in, but
each corner has a unique id (0, 1, 2, or 3), which suggests to be it is
selecting the cell points.  The point doesn't get highlighted because the
code is highlighting the raw point instead of the cell point.  This behavior
is the same for all cells in the mesh.

If I put my mouse directly over the point, it will highlight the point
correctly as desired.  I'm not sure what to make of this if it isn't
selecting the cell points.

Thanks for your help.