[vtkusers] 3d points to triangle coordinates - vtkDelaunay3D

Pierre Starkov starkovpierre at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 11:33:32 EDT 2014

Hello,

I have a question on how to perform a triangulation of 3d points with VTK.

So I'd like to create a function which you give 3D points and that returns you triangle coordinates from these points. (a list of sublists, each
list has 3 points (triangle coordiates)). -> function([...]) -> [[ , , ]....[ , , ]]

To test the way to do so, i create points this way :

 vtkSmartPointer< vtkPoints > points =
    vtkSmartPointer< vtkPoints > :: New();
    points->InsertNextPoint(0, 0, 0);
    points->InsertNextPoint(1, 0, 0);
    points->InsertNextPoint(1, 1, 0);
    points->InsertNextPoint(0, 1, 1);
    points->InsertNextPoint(5, 5, 5);
    points->InsertNextPoint(6, 5, 5);
    points->InsertNextPoint(6, 6, 5);
    points->InsertNextPoint(5, 6, 6);

vtkSmartPointer< vtkPolyData> polydata =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData>::
New();
    polydata->SetPoints(points);

To create triangulation, I use this code :

vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay3D> delaunay3D =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay3D>
::New();
    delaunay3D->SetInput(polydata);

 delaunay3D->SetAlpha(0.2);
    delaunay3D->Update();

From here, I'm lost. I do this, but it doesn't work :

vtkSmartPointer<
vtkTriangleFilter> triangleFilter =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkTriangleFilter>::New();

triangleFilter->
SetInputConnection(delaunay3D->GetOutputPort());
    triangleFilter->Update();

Anybody has an idea of what is wrong in my code? Where is the mistake?
Hope you can help me!

Best regards,

Pierre Starkov,
Computer Science & Medical School Student,
Geneva, Switzerland