[vtkusers] VTK and GPU Support

Ulrich Kemloh kemlohulrich at gmail.com
Thu May 1 07:59:57 EDT 2014

Hi Aashish and thanks for your reply.

It is a release build and
actually renders 1000 spheres at 3FPS.
with 100 spheres, I am around 18 FPS.

Also I have checked the GPU load , it is around 9%. So I guess it is not used.
But again what wonder me much is the fact that

_renderingWindows->isDirect() returns false (meaning no hardware rendering I guess)
and the test  VTKRenderingOpenGLCxx_tests.exe  tells "There is 0 GPU (s)"

What I have done is reducing the resolution of the sphere from 20 to 10.
The spheres are also running through a triangle filter and a striper.
Now the rendering speed is around 9FPS.
It is just a workaround.

I am really wondering if there are special compilation steps(
like adding special flags)
that must be undertaken  for VTK to start using your Graphic card.

Thanks you again for pointing me to APITrace. I will continue the investigations.

Regards
Ulrich