[vtkusers] How to determine the number of triangles or points rendered by mapper

Paul McIntosh paul.mcintosh at monash.edu
Fri Jun 20 05:41:35 EDT 2014

The amount of triangles rendered depends on what is needed to make a nice picture. For example, if you try and select a surface through ParaView and then calculate the area, if the triangles are very fine, your result will be wrong as a large percentage are not rendered. This is because the select function is getting info from the GPU. You can test this by selecting from a distance, extracting the selection and then zoom in.

To calculate the area of a mesh I created a little util which counts the rendered pixels and this does the job accurate enough for me (calculating the frontal area of a vehicle)

https://github.com/internetscooter/Vespa-Labs/tree/master/VespaCFD/CalculateFrontalArea

https://github.com/internetscooter/Vespa-Labs/blob/master/VespaCFD/CalculateFrontalArea/CalculateFrontalArea_README.docx

Not sure if it helps.

Paul