[vtkusers] vtkImageReader much faster than vtkImageReader2??

Marco Sambin m.sambin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 05:54:05 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I have rapidly reviewed the source code of vtkImageReader and
vtkImageReader2. My first impression is that in my own scenario
vtkImageReader2 may run significantly slower than vtkImageReader because of
this call in the inner for() loop (the one on rows) of method
"vtkImageReader2Update()":

[...]
// seek to the correct row
self->SeekFile(outExtent[0],idx1,idx2);
[...]

It looks like the equivalent method in vtkImageReader does much fewer seek
operations while reading the single large volume file (dimensionality = 3).
Just my first impression, I might be wrong.

I am looking forward to hearing your comments.
Thanks and best regards,

Marco Sambin