[vtkusers] [VTK] Clip volume rendered dataset

Jon Haitz Legarreta jhlegarreta at vicomtech.org
Wed Jun 11 07:24:50 EDT 2014

Hi,
I was trying to build a scene where both surface and volume rendering are
used, and the volume rendered dataset is cut thanks to a clipping plane.
Although I guess this is perfectly possible with VTK, I was finding it a
little bit complicated.

Thus, I decided to try with Paraview. A screenshot of what I have in mind
is attached.

So based on the skull stripping contribution [1], I'd like to be able to
load the original brainweb.mha dataset for that contribution, render the
volume, then load the output of the segmentation, apply a contour filter,
render the surface, and be able to apply a clipping plane (through the
vtkImplicitPlaneWidget [2] or the vtkImplicitPlaneWidget2 [3]) to this last.

Basically, I'm finding it difficult to apply the vtkImplicitPlaneWidget or
vtkImplicitPlaneWidget2 to the volume rendered object (the wiki examples
[4] [5] act on PolyData types).

Can anyone cast some light on this, please?

Thank you,
JON HAITZ

P.S.: Although at this stage I'm not concerned with memory optimization, it
looks like I'll need to, since for the brainweb dataset (~7 MB) and the
corresponding skull stripping/brain segmentation (~10 MB) Paraview
allocates between 6 and 10 GB of memory, with some peaks at 16 GB :-S. I
don't know whether I'm missing some important information regarding this
issue.

[1] http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/859
[2] http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImplicitPlaneWidget.html
[3] http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImplicitPlaneWidget2.html