[vtkusers] 3D Slicing | vtkImageResliceMapper | No motion of cutplane in one of 3 axes (yaw)

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 18:33:59 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Debjit Ghosh <dghosh at chla.usc.edu> wrote:

> Knowing the confusion of the usage of axes (sensor, camera or data) is why
> I created a representation of the 3 axes in the attached image and based on
> that roll is in the Y axis, pitch is in Z and yaw is in X.

Please spell it out for me.  I saw the image, and wasn't sure if the axes
drawn in the image were supposed to be the axes of the sensor, or the axes
of the data set.

 Pardon my use of "yaw out". If the plane is centered at the tip of the
> cone, and the plane was to have a yaw motion, it would move like the dial
> of the pendulum from the inside to the outside of the bounding box.

Still unclear.  I've never seen a pendulum that had a dial.  Neither does
"from the inside to the outside" mean anything to me when you are talking
about rotations.  Your trying to solve a mathematical problem, so please
use mathematical terminology.  Otherwise it's almost guaranteed that that
your explanation will be misunderstood.

So the yaw axis is the x axis.  It wasn't clear from your description or
from the figure, but I'm going to guess that you mean the x axis of the
sensor, which is also the normal of your cut plane.  Is this correct?  Do
you care about the position of the sensor, or only about its orientation?
 If you only care about the orientation, then what point (in data coords)
do you use as the pivot point (or fulcrum) for the rotations? Even better,
find some way to indicate the rotations in your diagram.