[vtkusers] Streamlines around a Simple Sphere

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Jan 6 11:26:33 EST 2014

VTK isn't good at modeling, it is more about displaying data that has been
produced by some other simulation or modeling package. So, say you had a
vector field that had vector data that approached, wrapped around and then
moved away from a sphere, VTK could easily create the streamlines in that
field and draw them for you.

To produce such a vector field, you might look into CFD packages like
OpenFOAM. With these you could specify the initial vector field (everything
going in one direction), add in a spherical object to block the flow, and
then have the solver iterate until you get a physically based solution
vector field where the vectors naturally wrap around the sphere as they
would in real life.

For a non physically based solution and with a problem that is so ideal,
you could also programmatically create the vector field yourself without
resorting to the complexity of a big software package like OpenFOAM.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive