[vtkusers] Example using vtkProjectedTerrainPath and converting vtkPolyData to vtkImageData [SOLVED]

Guillaume Dumont dumont.guillaume at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 12:02:51 EST 2014

In case someone else is interested in this I found an example (more
precisely a test) at:
http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Filters/Hybrid/Testing/Python/TestProjectedTerrainPath.py

which I was able to modify to suit my needs.

In the ends it boils down to:

- Load the STL file and create a vtkImageData containing the the elevation
of the points. In my case I used an image that encompasses all the points
in the STL and a vtkCellLocator to get the elevation for each "pixel" in
the image.

- Create polylines with default elevation.

- Use vtkProjectedTerrainPath with the vtkImageData and the vtkPolyData of
the polylines

- Render as usual.

the gotchas I found is that it seems that only the Hug projection mode
worked for me. Also, I had some trouble figuring at the origin of the
vtkImageData should be: in my case the min x and min y of the STL surface
and 0 for z so that the polylines and surface line up properly.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Dumont
dumont.guillaume at gmail.com