[vtkusers] Writing multi-paged tiff image

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:29:46 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Maarten Beek <beekmaarten at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Sorry, I'll try to remember. I did search the internet but couldn't find a
> clear answer.
>
> I am a bit confused though, because vtkTiffReader reads multi-page tiffs
> fine. What is preventing a multi-page writer?

All that's missing is someone with the need to write multi-page files, who
is willing to modify the writer so that it writes multi-page files!  It
isn't a trivial project, because there are at least three different
semi-standard ways of storing 3D data in TIFF, and they aren't entirely
compatible with one another.

Even with the reader, multi-page files were troublesome for a long time,
because it could read some 3D files but not others (again, because TIFF has
 several semi-standard ways of storing 3D data).  TIFF was not initially
designed to handle 3D, and all the ways of making it work with 3D are a bit
hackish.

What are my options in vtk? What writers do write 3d images? Does a tool
> exist that puts multiple tiffs in one multi-page tiff?

Well, right now NIFTI is my favorite 3D image format.  I don't use TIFF
much, so I don't know what TIFF tools are available.

 - David