[vtkusers] Help building Python wheels for VTK

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:22:37 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am sorry if this a developer question, but I wanted to ask for some
help in building a Python wheel to install VTK with Python bindings.

For anyone not deep into the current state of Python packing, Python
wheels are a very simple zip-based installation format [1].

We've recently had very good success building wheels for OSX, so we
can install all the main scientific Python packages quickly on OSX
without a compiler [2]

I'm now trying to work out how to make a wheel for VTK.   This is very
easy for a project with a 'setup.py' file, but I believe this isn't
the case for VTK, and I don't know the cmake VTK build system well.
So - is there a good place to go, to ask for help with this?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew

[1] http://wheel.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
[2] https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels