[vtkusers] VTK Python Wrapping OSX 10.9

Michka Popoff michkapopoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:06:18 EDT 2014

Sending my mail a second time, the first seem not to have gone through ...

David Gobbi is right:
If you type python in the terminal, OS X's python 2.7.5 is launched.
VTK for slicer was compiled against the shipped python 2.7.3 I suppose.

So you try to run from a 2.7.5 python a VTK library which was build against 2.7.3. That won't work (that's the error you get).
You can not mix the two.

What I meant by binary version is in fact a compiled version (which will work out of the box).

Le 29 avr. 2014 à 23:58, David Gobbi a écrit :

> [...]
>> Hi Michka,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer.
>>
>> I would prefer not to use a binary version of VTK, more a compiled version.
>>
>> I, indeed, have multiple versions of python (2.7.5 installed with xcode, and
>> 2.7.3 installed with Slicer).
>> However, I don't compile any code, and I don't use cmake. I just do
>> something like 'python script.py'.
>>
>> I tried in both terminal, and it worked in none of them, but it worked in
>> Slicer python interpreter. I guess Slicer set proper environment variable,
>> but I cannot figure it out which one I should set.
>>
>> -Laurent
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Michka Popoff <michkapopoff at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> if you need an easy install way on OS X 10.9, you may try installing vtk
>>> through homebrew.
>>> There are formulas for VTK 5 and VTK 6 which contain the right options to
>>> install on OS X.
>>> (Installation goes with "brew install vtk --with python")
>>>
>>> You can also try my binaries, which are installable through homebrew
>>> (https://github.com/iMichka/homebrew-MacVTKITKPythonBottles)
>>> In this case you don't even have to compile VTK :)
>>>
>>> The error you get is often due to a python library mismatch. Cmake is
>>> picking up the wrong libraries (the python lib does not correspond to the
>>> python executable).
>>> Do you have mutliple pythons installed ?
>>> You can also check the python paths in cmake (especially the path of the
>>> PYTHON_LIBRARY).
>>>
>>> Michka
>>>
>>> Le 29 avr. 2014 à 23:36, Laurent Chauvin a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello VTK Users,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to run an example of VTK (the vtk Cube.py example) in python on
>>> Mac OSX 10.9.
>>> I have VTK 5.10.1 and python 2.7.5.
>>>
>>> I read this page:
>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Tutorials/PythonEnvironmentSetup
>>>
>>> which solved the 'no module named vtk' error, but now, I got another
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
>>> Abort trap: 6
>>>
>>> I heard the VTK 5.10 is not compatible with OSX 10.9, but it was a while
>>> ago (end of 2013).
>>>
>>> The example is working when I use the python interpreter in Slicer, so my
>>> guess is this is an issue with the environment path, but I cannot figure it
>>> out.
>>>
>>> Does anyone already ran vtk python examples in OSX 10.9 ?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>> -Laurent
>>>
>>> --
>>> Laurent Chauvin, MS
>>> Surgical Navigation and Robotics Laboratory, Radiology Department
>>> Brigham And Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
>>> http://wiki.ncigt.org/index.php/User:Lchauvin
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the