[vtkusers] oriented vtkCubeAxesActor issue

Jools Lewthwaite jools.lewthwaite at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 05:23:02 EDT 2014

(Apologies if this is a repost)

Thanks Sebastien - it did help me figure whats going on somewhat.

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the
vtkCubeAxesActor is just not going to allow twhat I need. The problems seem
to be that the orientated bounds are also used as the displayed ranges -
i.e. the methods SetXAxisRange(lox,hix) etc no longer seem to have an
effect, in addition these ranges are at the same scale as the world
coordinates - so using the orientation seems to lose the freedom of unit
scaling on the axis. Also the cube axis is placed into the world in such a
way that the axis origin is centred at the world origin and I can't see
anyway to affect this (it explains the offsetting I was seeing though).

My problem is that I have two coordinate systems with different scales on
the XY plane and different origins, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I
can't have both cubes displayed at the same time.

The simple solution would be if I could just rotate an aligned cube axis, or
build one from an aligned axes set via transforms, but so far as  I can see
methods such as SetScale, SetUserTransform and so on seem to be having no
effect on the object. I'm pretty new at vtk so perhaps I'm missing something
- do you (or anyone) know if I should be able to rotate the actor, or is the
orientetdbounds/setaxis methods the only way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance!

Jools