[vtkusers] New DICOM reader for VTK

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 11:48:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce a project to enhance the support for DICOM files in VTK.
>
> The VTK-DICOM project provides a new DICOM reader for VTK with
> the following features:
> - Efficient and comprehensive access to DICOM meta data.
> - Image orientation management.
> - Support for multi-dimensional data sets.
> - Support for enhanced multi-frame CT and MR files.
> - Support for multi-frame cine and NM files.
> - Compressed image support via GDCM.
>
> Work on a DICOM writer class for VTK is proceeding rapidly, with a
> release expected by the end of the month.  This project has been
> supported by the Calgary Image Processing and Analysis Centre at
> the University of Calgary.
>
> The source code is available here:
> http://github.com/dgobbi/vtk-dicom
>
> Comprehensive documentation is also available:
> http://www.cognitive-antics.net/vtk-dicom/
> http://www.cognitive-antics.net/vtk-dicom/vtk-dicom.pdf
>
> Feedback is welcome.  If you use these classes in your own projects,
> I would love to hear how well they fit your needs.

I guess that I should add: it has a functioning vtkDICOMWriter now,
that I am currently keeping in its own branch (the dicom-writer branch).
For now this proto-writer is limited to secondary capture (i.e. no modality
specific information), but it will support MR and CT before the next
release, along with an extensibility mechanism for other modalities.

 David