[vtkusers] New DICOM reader for VTK

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 13:51:40 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM, David Cole <dlrdave at aol.com> wrote:
> Any particular version requirements for either GDCM or VTK?
> Recommended URL for obtaining the latest stable GDCM?

Tested with GDCM 2.0.18 and 2.2.3.
Tested with VTK 5.10 and VTK git master.
The pdf in the announcement has an appendix with build info,
including a GDCM link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gdcm/

Note that only one of the included programs that has a dependency
that requires VTK 5.10 or higher.  If you do a build with
BUILD_PROGRAMS=OFF, I suspect that the library will build with
versions of VTK as old as VTK 5.6.

Also note that GDCM is not required.  It provides support for image
decompression, but is optional otherwise.  Many of the DICOM examples
available on the web are not compressed (conversely, most DICOM files
in clinical use _are_ compressed these days).

> Thanks for this -- I'll be trying it out with the GDCM support if you can
> point me to the best GDCM to use...

I'll be glad to hear your thoughts.

 David