[vtkusers] Coordinate system support for grids

Marco Nawijn nawijn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 10:52:01 EDT 2013

Dear All,

I have a question regarding VTK support for the use of different coordinate
systems within a single grid. I currently work on a reader for
a third-party simulation code. The models I am interested in are typically
large structures existing of many different components. Many times,
the files generated by the simulation code define local coordinate systems
for different structural components. Also results can be defined in terms
of these local coordinate systems. One option ofcourse is to convert
everything to the global coordinate system, but preferably, I would like
to support the notion of local coordinate systems. I am aware of the
vtkCoordinate class, but as far as I can tell I cannot use this in
combination with a vtkPoints or for example vtkUnstructuredGrid object.

So the main question is if VTK supports different coordinate systems for
the definition of points or grids?

Kind regards,

Marco