[vtkusers] GPURayCast and Texture3D volume mappers fail to render

Miro Drahos mdrahos at robodoc.com
Tue Sep 10 22:21:04 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I am having an issue with volume mappers and hope someone can provide
some constructive feedback.
When trying to use vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper rendering fails with the
message:
ERROR: In
/home/miro/BUILDS/VTK5.10.1/VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx,
line 4011
vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper (0x12e15ce0): Rendering failed because
the following OpenGL extensions are required but not supported:  OpenGL
1.3 is required but not supported

If I run
glGetString(GL_VERSION)
I get the correct output string:
4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.44

and yet the
vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::ExtensionSupported("GL_VERSION_1_3") somehow
returns 0.

I am using vtk 5.10, my graphics card is NVIDIA GT520, using NVIDIA
propriatory driver 310.44 on Linux Mint 15 (same thing with open-source
nouveau driver).
Some terminal output that may be relevant:

$ glewinfo   | grep GL_VER
GL_VERSION_1_1: OK
GL_VERSION_1_2: OK
GL_VERSION_1_2_1: OK
GL_VERSION_1_3: OK
GL_VERSION_1_4: OK
GL_VERSION_1_5: OK
GL_VERSION_2_0: OK
GL_VERSION_2_1: OK
GL_VERSION_3_0: OK
GL_VERSION_3_1: OK
GL_VERSION_3_2: OK
GL_VERSION_3_3: OK
GL_VERSION_4_0: OK
GL_VERSION_4_1: OK
GL_VERSION_4_2: OK

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520] bus-ID: 01:00.0
            X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080 at 60.0hz, 1920x1080 at 60.0hz
            GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.3.0
NVIDIA 310.44 Direct Rendering: Yes

More puzzling yet it gets when I try to use vtkVolumeMapperTexture3D, I get
ERROR: In
/home/miro/BUILDS/VTK5.10.1/VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx,
line 4011
vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper (0x12e15ce0): Rendering failed because
the following OpenGL extensions are required but not supported:

With no list of problem extensions...

Thank you very much for any input on this!

Miroslav Drahos(
software engineer
<http://www.robodoc.com>
*Curexo Technology Corporation*