[vtkusers] Any ideas for showing selected items?

Doug Hoppes dhoppes at mbfbioscience.com
Wed Sep 4 08:24:03 EDT 2013

Hi all,

                Okay, I'm stuck.  I have around 20,000 items in my scene.  I need some sort of indicator for the user to select 10,000 of them.  So, I have my list of 10,000 selected items.  Any ideas on a way to show that the objects are selected?  VTKActors are pretty heavy weight, so the idea was going with a glyph.  However, the objects are various meshes/surfaces.  So, if I create a glyph, it may be inside of the surface and the user won't be able to know if the item is selected.

                My only thought is some sort of mesh outline that is a glyph, rather than an actor.  Note: I can't just turn all of the selected items to wireframes because there is an option to show the surface as a wireframe.  I thought of making the surface semi-transparent, but the user's also want to control the transparency of the item that is selected.

Doug