[vtkusers] image with variable spacing

Miroslav Drahos MDrahos at robodoc.com
Tue Nov 19 02:46:32 EST 2013

Hi,
I am working with medical image (a 3D volume) that consists of several segments with different spacing in z-direction. I was hoping to get an opinion on how to work with this data; I need to be able to visualize it all at once, and reslice it at arbitrary direction.
One quite natural idea was to resample the image and then work with it as one vtkImageData object, use vtkResliceCursorWidget on it, etc. However, the origin of the individual image segments changes too, and the gap between them is not an integer multiple of z-resolution, so I can't fit an integer number of (empty) slices between the segments, and the origin will be shifted.
The other idea that I am about to implement is to store a vector of images, and dynamically re-plug the reslice cursor to the segment that it is currently on, and have multiple representations that would copy their parametric plane representation from the active on and display several planes with their own textures.
But it just seems so clumsy, and makes me feel there must be a more elegant and efficient solution.
I have seen vtkRectilinearGrid, but that cannot be plugged into a reslice cursor.

Anybody has an idea of how to work with such data?
Thank you very much,
Miro