[vtkusers] build errors VS12, need to #include <algorithm>

Lars Matthäus lars.matthaeus at web.de
Thu Nov 14 14:21:48 EST 2013

Dear all,

I'm facing build issues with the current master branch using Visual
Studio 2013 (aka Visual Studio 12) and compiling 64 bit.

I get error messages like

error C2039: 'max' : is not a member of 'std'
VTK\Common\Core\vtkUnicodeStringArray.cxx	133
error C3861: 'max': identifier not found
VTK\Common\Core\vtkUnicodeStringArray.cxx	133
error C2039: 'min' : is not a member of 'std'
VTK\Filters\Core\vtkCutter.cxx	826
error C3861: 'min': identifier not found
IVTK\Filters\Core\vtkCutter.cxx	826	1	vtkFiltersCore

All in all, it affects 16 files:
Charts\Core\vtkContextPolygon.cxx
Charts\Core\vtkPiecewisePointHandleItem.cxx
Common\Core\vtkUnicodeStringArray.cxx
Common\DataModel\vtkMappedUnstructuredGrid.txx
Filters\Core\vtkCutter.cxx
Filters\Core\vtkThreshold.cxx
Filters\General\vtkNormalizeMatrixVectors.cxx
Filters\Imaging\vtkPairwiseExtractHistogram2D.cxx
IO\Geometry\vtkMoleculeReaderBase.cxx
Infovis\Core\vtkAdjacencyMatrixToEdgeTable.cxx
Infovis\Layout\vtkIncrementalForceLayout.cxx
Rendering\Context2D\vtkMarkerUtilities.cxx
Rendering\Core\vtkTextMapper.cxx
Rendering\FreeType\vtkMathTextUtilities.cxx
Rendering\FreeType\vtkTextActor.cxx
Views\Infovis\vtkParallelCoordinatesRepresentation.cxx

But if I include algorithm (#include <algorithm>) in each cxx,
everything compiles and runs just fine.

Am I missing any settings or do others experience the same?

Thanks,
Lars