[vtkusers] Slicing unstructured dataset: st9bad_alloc

Laurence Griffiths lgriffiths.aero at gmail.com
Fri May 31 13:12:16 EDT 2013

I have an unstructured grid, which when I slice at a particular location
using vtkCutter it causes a st9bad_alloc error.
I can repeat this error in vtk 5.10.1 and 6.0.0-rc1 and 6.0.0-rc2 (all
compiled from source).

I can also reproduce the error also if I take the same slice in paraview
3.98.1 (from the 64-bit linux binary). In paraview I cant take a crinkle
clip without error, but if I attempt to then slice the crinkle clip I again
get the st9bad_alloc.

It appears that the plane is perflectly "in-plane" with some cell faces
either side of the plane (ie. it is slicing on the cell face). if i move
the plane half a cell forward/back, the vtkCutter completes without error.

 Anyone experience similar issues in vtk? Or know any tips to debug - I
have debug_leaks swtiched on, and dont appear to have any leaks.

*Side notes:*

   - I can read/write the multigrid dataset to disk, and taking slices at
   other locations works without error.
   - I am nowhere near reaching the limit of max memory on this system.

cheers in advance for at least reading this far :-)

laurence.