[vtkusers] null vtkRenderWindow with CMake

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue May 28 14:47:08 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Dženan Zukić <dzenanz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am switching over to vtk6. Following a recommendation to use COMPONENTS
> argument in CMakeLists causes access violation at run time. Namely,
> QVTKWidget::GetRenderWindow() crashes at line win->Delete(); due to win
> being null. The function is called from my main window's constructor:
>
> vtkOpenGLRenderer *renderer = vtkOpenGLRenderer::New();
> qvtkWidget->GetRenderWindow()->AddRenderer(renderer); //crash
>
> If I don't use the components (but rather link all modules), there is no
> crash. Way of invoking VTK:
>
> #FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED COMPONENTS vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL
> vtkGUISupportQt vtkGUISupportQtOpenGL vtkRenderingQt NO_MODULE)
> FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED COMPONENTS vtkGUISupportQtOpenGL)
>
> I am using vtk git master. How can I resolve this crash? Or should I just
> link all modules?

I added http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Build_System_Migration#Common_Implementation_Modules
to give an example where one might find the common implementation
modules and use it. You could add vtkGUISupportQtOpenGL to the list of
dependencies, but you are missing vtkRenderingOpenGL from your
dependencies that is causing the null render window.

Marcus