[vtkusers] Drawing half a million "vtkParametricEllipsoid"s

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed May 22 10:32:47 EDT 2013

You can choose an array on the point source which will define the scaling
factor with those classes, but that scales equally along the X, Y and Z
directions (so the ellipsoids will be different sizes from each other, but
all stretched identically).

I think you want instead is
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkTensorGlyph.html. With that the
ellipsoid (use a sphere) will be scaled in its local X,Y, and Z axes
according to the major, medium and minor eigenvectors respectively found in
the tensor array on the point source, and rotated to align with the major
eigenvector.

Either that or hack vtkGlyph* to take into account more than one scaling
factor and scale each axis independently.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive