[vtkusers] Building VTK 5.8.0 for Windows 8 (64 bits), Visual Studio 11

Frederic Perez frederic.perez at alma3d.com
Tue May 21 10:25:38 EDT 2013

Hello vtkusers,

I've recently built binaries for VTK 5.8.0 for Windows 8 (64 bits) using
Visual Studio 11, and I'd like to share my experience, in case you meet the
same problems.

In order to be able to workaround build problems, we introduced minor
changes (ie. extensions) to a couple of source files:

* Rendering\*vtkMapArrayValues.cxx*

#ifdef _WINDOWS
  #include <functional> // Addendum for vs11 to find 'greater'#endif

void vtkMapArrayValues::AddToMap(vtkVariant from, vtkVariant to)
{#ifdef _WINDOWS
  this->Map->insert(vtkstd::make_pair(from, to)); // Addendum#else
  this->Map->insert(vtkstd::make_pair< vtkVariant, vtkVariant >(from,
to));#endif

  this->Modified();
}

* Infovis\*vtkAdjacencyMatrixToEdgeTable.cxx*

#ifdef _WINDOWS
  #include <functional> // Alma IT Systems addendum for vs11 to find
'greater'#endif

Hope this helps.

Best,  Frederic