[vtkusers] comparing data in two meshes that *nearly* match

Seth Gilchrist seth at mech.ubc.ca
Sat May 18 11:23:16 EDT 2013

Hi Marco,
Thanks for the info, I think that's just what I need. I can exclude one of
the surfaces using the linear extrusion filter to ensure overlap and probe
it with the other surface.

Seth

On May 18, 2013 5:22 AM, "Marco Nawijn" <nawijn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Seth,
>
> Are you aware of the vtkProbeFilter? You could use the points of one
> mesh (the input mesh) and compute the value from the other mesh
> at the locations of the input mesh. See documentation string below.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marco
>

> Source: Python doc-string for vtkProbeFilter
>
> vtkProbeFilter is a filter that computes point attributes (e.g.,
> scalars, vectors, etc.) at specified point positions. The filter has
> two inputs: the Input and Source. The Input geometric structure is
> passed through the filter. The point attributes are computed at the
> Input point positions by interpolating into the source data. For
> example, we can compute data values on a plane (plane specified as
> Input) from a volume (Source). The cell data of the source data is
> copied to the output based on in which source cell each input point
> is. If an array of the same name exists both in source's point and
> cell data, only the one from the point data is probed.
>
> This filter can be used to resample data, or convert one dataset form
> into another. For example, an unstructured grid (vtkUnstructuredGrid)
> can be probed with a volume (three-dimensional vtkImageData), and
> then volume rendering techniques can be used to visualize the
> results. Another example: a line or curve can be used to probe data
> to produce x-y plots along that line or curve.
>

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Seth Gilchrist <seth at mech.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I'm trying to compare data on two meshes that are close to matching, but
don't quite match.

>> The meshes are the surface of a bone with scalar data representing
physical strain observed at a given point. The bones were measured twice
under different conditions, and the two extracted surfaces are similar, but
not identical.

>> I have used ICP to align the meshes, but can't figure out a way to
compare the data between the two meshes. One way would be to project the
data from each mesh onto a plane image, or better to warp one mesh to the
other and interpolate the data, but I can't figure that out either.

>> So that you can see what I'm working with I've uploaded the meshes in
vtp format to
>> https://share.cfri.ca/?u=SN7q&p=9fAJ
>>
>> Any ideas would be much appreciated. I want to compare the strain in the
meshes on a point by point basis.

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ