[vtkusers] tcl and 2D charts

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed May 8 13:59:26 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Mario Rodriguez <biomates at telefonica.net>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask if it is possible to make 2D graphics using tcl scripts.
> I couldn't find any examples anywhere.
>
> I use vtk for drawing 3D scenes from the computer algebra system Maxima
> (http://riotorto.users.sourceforge.net/vtk ) and I want to extend this
> ability to 2D.
>
> Any help in this direction would be of great help.
>
> It would be helpful to know a little more about what types of 2D you are
interested in. We do not have any tests written in Tcl for the charts, but
they are wrapped and should work. They Python tests should give a
reasonable guide on how the same might be done, and this would give you 2D
charts and a scene that you could build things on.

The underlying 2D API is not wrapped in a way that it can be easily used
from any of the wrapped layers as far as I know - i.e. I don't think you
can derive from vtkContextItem and implement the Paint method using calls
to render 2D geometry etc.

Thanks,

Marcus