[vtkusers] vtkPanel/canvas/renderwindow in a JFrame/JPanel MacOS

Simeon Fitch fitch at datamininglab.com
Wed May 8 13:46:37 EDT 2013

I'm trying to integrate VTK into our Java/Swing application (currently it
has a custom JOGL renderer). On MacOS 10.8.3 with Java 1.7.0_11-b21 and VTK
5.10.1 all the demo programs render the VTK content in a separate window
rather than the main application window. The following message is also
printed to the console whenever mouse events are sent to the area where the
VTK panel was supposed to be.

    JavaVM WARNING: JAWT_GetAWT must be called after loading a JVM

I'm writing to see if anyone has figured a workaround to this. Java 7 is a
requirement for our code base, however I'm not adverse to working with a
custom patched version of VTK.