[vtkusers] is this a bug? should I file it somewhere?

Ilan ilan.tal at gmail.com
Thu May 2 08:17:30 EDT 2013

Hi Seb,
I got busy with other problems so that I didn't try out your idea until
today. The reason for multiple libjwt.so is that Fiji comes with its own
Java so that it will run even if the user has no Java installed. In my case
I have both JDK6 and JDK7 installed. So there are indeed multiple versions
floating around and I just need to live with it.

To test your idea I went for brute force as an initial step. I can always
improve later on, but first I want to test the idea. I just copied over all
the Fiji java since I know it is 1.6, which is the way I copied the vtk.

Your statement is:
The reason is when you build vtk with the Java wrapping, the rendering
library get linked to the jawt library, then at runtime, you need to make
sure it find it again.

My question is: does it find libjawt.so even the first time around? I have
serious doubts that it even really looks for it when doing the java wrap. My
guess that JAWT_GetAWT is just something which is half defined, and maybe I
need some switch to guarantee that it is totally defined.

When I run Fiji in a terminal I get:
ilan at ilan-Len-G585:~/Fiji.app$ ./ImageJ-linux64
1: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader at 77cde100
2: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader at 77cde100
3: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader at 77cde100
./ImageJ-linux64: symbol lookup error:
/home/ilan/Fiji.app/lib/linux64/libvtkRenderingJava.so.5.10.1: undefined
symbol: JAWT_GetAWT

This leads me to believe that it was never defined at compile or link time
and that I am missing some switch. However I have no idea what the switch
could be. The fact that the program simply crashes is really not very nice.
I'm really stuck with what I can do about it.

Thanks,
Ilan