[vtkusers] XLM File Format: Unstructured Grid VTU - Detail: attributes of, , PointData and CellData

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Sun Mar 17 14:39:04 EDT 2013

Hi,

You can probably ignore marking arrays as scalars, vectors, or any of the
other "active" arrays as they are not required. Marking an array with the
scalar attribute just means that a filter that is looking for a scalar
array will use the one that is marked. In your VTK code (or ParaView) you
can still mark that array later on as being the scalar array. Also, there
will be at most one scalar point data array and at most one scalar cell
data array (similar for other attributes). This attribute marking sometimes
gets confused with thinking about scalar or vector physical quantities
(e.g. temperature or velocity, respectively) but it is independent of that.
Thus you could have a temperature array and a pressure array along with
other physically scalar arrays but only one would be marked as being a VTK
scalar array and that's the one a filter would look for to do its work with
respect to.

Andy