[vtkusers] VTK 6 porting

Frédéric Speisser speisser at kappaeng.com
Fri Mar 15 11:54:59 EDT 2013

Hello all,

We want to port our application using Vtk 5.9 to Vtk 6.
Some code working on 5.9 does not work in 6, simple example with
following line :

vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor> actor = vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor>::New();

returns a NULL pointer ...

Seems I must do something described here
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Build_System_Migration :

"The application code must list vtkRenderingOpenGL in its components to
use OpenGL for rendering and include the VTK_USE_FILE to add compiler
definitions. This ensures that the object factory for the
vtkRenderingOpenGL module will be initialized and uses whenever classes
from vtkRenderingCore are uses in your application code. If you notice
the interface classes in these modules returning NULL pointers it is
likely that one of these implementation modules providing appropriate
overrides is missing from the dependency list."

I'm already linking with vtkRenderingOpenGL-6.0.lib in my sample project
but what should i do with "VTK_USE_FILE" ?

Any hints would be wellcome, thanks a lot !

Frédéric