[vtkusers] Clipping a triangulated mesh with another triangulated mesh

mustafaf mustafa.haiderali at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 19:46:41 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm a pretty new user to VTK but I have the following problem:

I'm using Poisson surface reconstruction to triangulate a point cloud. A
side-effect of Poisson reconstruction is that it tries to generate closed
meshes and sometimes this results in spurious artifacts. For my application,
it results in "extra" volume and surface area being added. I create the
convex hull using vtkDelaunay3d of my original point and I want to use that
convex hull to clip everything outside it on the Poisson result. Does this
make sense?

I was initially trying to use vtkClipPolyData but the output was the
original polydata itself? I then discovered the
vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter but I can't figure out how to use it to do
what I want. Can somebody help me with this? In effect, I have two meshes...
A = mesh_convex and B = mesh_poisson. I want to perform the following
boolean operation:

B \ complement(A) = diff(B,not(A)) = B ^ not(not(A)) = B ^ A (where ^ is
intersection and \ is diff ).

I then used vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter with the operation set as an
intersection. The result looks more or less like the convex hull. The
problem is that this is not what my intention  was. All the fine detail of
my Poisson reconstruction are lost. Any comments/ suggestions ?