[vtkusers] Creating a new vtkDataSet object

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Jun 10 10:43:19 EDT 2013

> vtkDataSet * myDataSet = vtkDataSet::SafeDownCast(myDataSet);

> and I get NULL. What I am doing wrong here?

You’re also passing an uninitialized value as the parameter to SafeDownCast if your code looks exactly like your email (or is that a typo?)... You’re lucky to be getting NULL back, and not a crash. The argument to SafeDownCast should be a valid pointer to an instance of some class derived from vtkDataSet in order to return non-NULL.

HTH,

David C.