[vtkusers] How to build with Vtk as an external project?

Lars Bilke lars.bilke at ufz.de
Mon Jul 1 09:52:17 EDT 2013

I am developing an application which uses VTK for the visualization. I would like to build against VTK as an external project. So I am using ExternalProject_Add() to build VTK which works fine.

But how to set include directories and link libraries in my project? I read that ExternalProject_Add and FindPackage should not be used together. But how to populate all the necessary CMake variables which I normally get when is use FindPackage.

Has anybody done this? I do not want the build my project like the ParaView superbuild. The simplest possible example would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance,
Lars Bilke.