[vtkusers] General problems using VTK widgets in PyQt

Willi Huber surfersparadise85-vtk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 14:39:36 EST 2013

Hello all,

I 've come across a problem that occurs with all so far tested VTK widgets in combination with Python and PyQt.
I was trying to embedd a lot of widgets (vtkResliceImageViewer, vtkImageViewer, vtkImagePlaneWidget, ...) into my application without success. Every time I have the problem that if an event (like MouseMove oder LeftButtonDown) is handled by one of these widgets the whole app crashes without any information why.
I know so far that it is definitely in combination with events that are handled by the widgets. Whenever I delete the observer for such an event the previously problematic action doesn't crash the app anymore.

I am curious why this is only happening with PyQt and not with Tk as this are the samples I tried. Next I want to debug into this problem using either Visual Studio or gdb. Has anyone had such problems using widgets in these combinations? Is it only a problem with pythonxy as this is what I was using all the time.

Would be nice if someone could assist me with this problem since this could be a major one.

Cheers,
Willi